Can you believe it’s already July?! Which means it’s time for us to join the Plastic-Free July challenge 💪
Whilst it’s easy to use a lot of plastic, with a little bit of awareness (they do say “knowledge is power”), it’s just as easy to use more friendly alternatives.
Whether you’re new to Plastic-Free July (🙌) or live plastic-free daily (you super star 🌟), hopefully the below ideas will help you choose to refuse single-use plastics, and make it much less daunting!
Simple & easy changes to refuse single-use plastics:
- Plastic shopping bags ➡️ Reusable tote bags
- Straws ➡️ Metal/bamboo straws
- Takeaway containers ➡️ try these leak proof Glass containers or stainless steel or eat in!
- Coffee cups ➡️ Keep Cups/ other reusable coffee cups or take 5 mins to sit in and enjoy your coffee
- Gladwrap ➡️ Beeswax wraps, silicone wraps or food/bread/lunch bags (with plant based lining to keep them fresher for longer)
- Dish scrubbers ➡️ Biodegradable & environmentally friendly scrubbers
- Hairbrush ➡️ Bamboo hairbrush
- Pegs ➡️ strong bamboo pegs
- Plastic water bottle ➡️ Reusable stainless steel drink bottle (insulated too!) or glass tea bottles
- Shampoo/conditioner ➡️ Shampoo/conditioner bar or choose a brand like Hunter Lab that have recyclable packaging
- Toothbrush ➡️ Bamboo toothbrush
- Toilet paper ➡️ Toilet paper (recycled, non bleached) wrapped in paper
- Dog poo bags ➡️ Decompostable dog poo bags
- Ice cream tub ➡️ Ice cream served in a yummy cone
- Tupperware containers ➡️ Food jars (eg. reuse a pasta sauce jar) or use glass containers like these
Want to sign up for the Plastic Free July Challenge?
- Sign up here: https://www.plasticfreejuly.org
- Download this handy PDF doc with ideas and the impact each choice has: https://www.plasticfreejuly.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Plastic-Free-July_Action-Picker_Getting-started.pdf
Want to read about other people who choose to refuse?Read some inspiring stories here: https://www.plasticfreejuly.org/pfj-in-action.html
Recycling is important but it doesn’t have to stop there. Let’s REDUCE, REUSE, REFUSE, RETHINK & REPAIR.
Any and all of these simple choices you make are having a positive impact on the environment. The planet says thank you! 🙏
We hope this makes it simple and easy for you to choose to refuse single-use plastics 🤗
Love from the Pookipoiga team ♥️